Thursday, October 25, 2012

Chesterfields, Love or not?


A conversation about Chesterfield sofas a couple of nights ago has gotten me thinking further about them. Whether we love them or we don't. Really to me, it's a matter of where you see them. They can easily go from super daggy to extraordinary.
Is it my favourite sofa ever...? I'm not sure, but there is something attractive about them, the old worn leather ones that have had many years of seating and dozing on. There's a rustic appeal about them that I love but they must be seen in a completely different setting than a typical cigar room or an old mansion to display all their charms. Diamonds in the rough. They will shine in modern settings mixed with furniture from different areas and a few well place eccentric objects... Best thing is you can choose a sustainable option by buying a pre-loved one. It was a bizarre coincidence seeing some typical examples on TDF's post yesterday and I thought they may be worth a mention then... 

Top two pics via TDF's, middle from one of my favorite photographer Ditte Isager, 4th via  and 5th via

4 comments:

  1. Love them! My parents have one like the bottom right, but I am definitely coveting the teal one top left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Romona, yes that Teal is so unexpected on such a piece. Great to see a departure on a classic!

      Delete
  2. So true that they can look kind of chic or a big daggy. Have seen them in a rich emerald velvet or blue and they looked so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes sometimes you have to be gutsy to make them work. I still love the old leather look but the rest of the interior needs to be spot on to pull it off. These guys needs roomy spaces to work at their best. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...